Monday, June 1, 2009

Worse than a hangover?

We took the boat out on Saturday and it was a glorious day. The sun was shining, there was a gentle breeze and we were with our wonderful friends, Andy and Cindy. It's great when Andy is on the boat with us, since he acts as 1st mate, leaving me to lounge and have no stress during docking.

We spent the day cruising the Indian and Banana Rivers in Merritt Island. There were lots of swimming dolphins and birds to watch. We were probably out on the river for about 4 hours. Afterward Bern and Andy cleaned the boat (another reason I LOVE having another man on the boat -- they get to help Bern with the post-cruising scrub down) while Cindy and I floated in the marina pool. Drinking beers, floating around and relaxing ... not bad huh.

Well, all was great until I realized that I was absolutely FRIED! My back, shoulders and chest were truly beet red. Anyway, today is Monday and I've endured two sleepless nights, excruciating showers (any hot water at all hurts) and layer after layer of soothing aloe gel (I love that stuff). However, I'm still red and in pain.

So ... today's lesson is ... wear sunscreen. Even if you don't feel like you're being burned. Put it on thickly when you first go out (SPF 45+) and be sure to re-apply it often. I'm a Florida-girl and I know this, but I just didn't think it would happen to me, I thought I had a good base tan (I was delusional). It's a bit like a hangover -- getting sun is lots of fun while you're doing it, but a major PAIN when recovering. And, there's not much you can do for it (like a hangover) but just take some aspirin and give it time. One thing's for sure, I won't ever do that again (also just how I feel when I have a hangover).

I'm leaving for Baltimore in the AM (7AM flight -- ugh). I'm hoping that I will be better recovered by then. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Bette - I am so sorry that you are going through all of that. Remember when Sarah had that awful sunburn????? What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Love to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. that must suck. i remember sunburns, at least you didnt get sun poisining, or maybe you did, have you thrown up yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came in to tell you I got burnt on Saturday at the water park.

    Fried shoulders... and I put sunscreen on!

    Hope you're better by now. :)

    ReplyDelete