Saturday, June 13, 2009

I love Prosecco!

I thought I would share a tip with you on a slightly different, yet refreshing white wine option -- Prosecco! I think that it is absolutely wonderful. It's light, it's bubbly and it's oh so drinkable.

I've always loved champagne, but it is quite pricey (Vueve Clicquot is my favorite and it's $45 a bottle at Costco) so I only reserve it for special occasions when I want to splurge. I also find that champagne can be a bit heavy at times.

So ... I was doing some shopping at Costco last month with my friend Cindy, who is also a champagne lover. We were looking over the wine/champagne when we came across a green bottle labeled "Prosecco." It had one of those round-top corks in it like champagne and it was in the champagne section but it wasn't labeled champagne or sparkling wine or Asti Spumanti or anything like that. We'd both heard the word "Prosecco" but we didn't know anything about it.

Anyway, while we were discussing the plethora of Costco wine options, a stranger came by, put a case of Prosecco in her cart and told us that she thought that it was better than champagne. Immediately, Cindy and I looked at each other, smiled brightly, and each put 2 bottles in our cart. They were only $10 a bottle, so what the heck, right?? That was the beginning of my love for Prosecco.

Since that day I have had 3 bottles of Prosecco -- each bottle just for me. And I have loved each and every drop. Last night I downed the third bottle. It was as wonderful as the first. The only bummer is, when you get to the bottom of the bottle it always seems like there should be more, that the pleasure and sheer relaxation should go on for hours more. But alas, just as you take your last sip, the fog and haze will begin to to envelope your mind and you will realize that you are suddenly very tired and need to crawl into your soft, comfy bed to go nighty-night.

Hmmm ... I love Prosecco!

PS -- Cindy too has enjoyed her stash and has also become a Prosecco evangelist. The next time we are in Costco, we may become the opinionated "stranger ladies" who, while putting cases in our shopping carts, are advising Prosecco-virgins of the joys of this inexpensive, refreshing, and thoroughly delicious refreshment.

I'm off to Costco today to replenish my supply. I'm so excited!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you had a wonderful Costco experience and I will purchase some Prosecco the next time we go there. Love to you and to Elizabeth and Bernie. Are we going to the beachhouse this weekend for Father's Day??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to grab some of that if/when I see it! We don't go to Costco so I hope they have it at Publix.

    ReplyDelete